For most Canadian visitors, they are allowed to only stay for a maximum of six months after their first entry into Canada. With the Super Visa, you can visit your child or grandchild in Canada for up to two continuous years without the need to leave and re-enter Canada every 6 months.

This article will let you know if you are eligible for the Super Visa and how to apply for it.


To be eligible for the Super Visa, you have to:

How to Apply for the

The application process is pretty similar to that of a Temporary Resident Visa for visitors. You can check the process here. However, you will need to provide additional documents: 

  1. An invitation letter from your child or grandchild, that is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You can find here the information that needs to be included in the invitation letter.
  2. You will need proof from your child or grandchild that he or she meets the low income cut-off (recent Notice of Assessment, T4 or T1 form, pension statement, investments, etc.).
  3. You will need a document confirming your medical exam.
  4. You need proof that you subscribed to a minimum one-year medical insurance coverage by a Canadian insurance company, that:
    • covers health care, hospital costs and your return to your home country,
    • covers you for at least $100,000, 
    • is valid for multiple entries into Canada, and
    • that you can show an immigration officer upon entry in Canada. 

Medical Exam

You will need to pass a Medical Exam with an IRCC approved doctor. 


The fees are the same as for a visitor TRV, which are a $100. 


Processing times for a Super Visa depend on the country from when you are applying.

​You can find out your country’s processing times here. You need to select “Visiting, studying, working temporarily”, then “Super Visa”, then choose the country you are applying from.To learn more about how to get a visitor visa, check here.