International students studying in Canada total more than 500,000, a figure that keeps on growing. Almost half of these students choose Ontario, and a quarter British Columbia. Most of them prefer Canada over other developed countries thanks to some advantages that studying in Canada brings:

  • Quality of education, Canada having lots of universities ranking as the best in the world.
  • Cost of tuition and living are lower than other developed countries, such as the U.S., the U.K., or Australia.
  • Canada’s reputation as discrimination-free and tolerant society.

As an international student, you will most likely need to apply for a Study Permit (except minor exceptions). If you plan to study in Quebec, you will have to apply for an additional permit, the “Certificat d’Acceptation du Québec” for applying for the Study Permit. After graduation, you might be able to get a work permit of 3 years to stay and look for a job in Canada. 

To learn more about studying in Canada, check out our detailed articles below on the subject:

If you have been accepted to a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, you will have to apply for a Study Permit. There are, however, some exceptions. You might not need a Study Permit under some specific circumstances (see the Study Permit article), or if your institution is not a DLI, you will not be able to apply for the Permit.

Studying in Quebec requires an additional step in the process. You will have to apply for a “Certificat d’Acceptation du Québec (CAQ)”. It is only after receiving your CAQ that you can apply for the Study Permit.

You are usually allowed to work inside and outside your campus with your Study Permit. You can check if this is the case here.

If you have been accepted to an additional study program and your current Study Permit is about to expire, you will have to apply for an extension of your Study Permit.

If you are currently studying in Canada and an internship or co-op program is part of your studies, you will need to apply for a Co-op or Intern Work Permit. You will have to check if your you have not already applied to it at the same time as your Study Permit application.
Depending on your study program, you might be eligible to a 3-year (max) Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). This will depend on the length of your studies and if the study program is PGWP-eligible. 
Working with a Study Permit
Studying in Québec
Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
Work as a Co-op Student or Intern
Extend your Study Permit