Are planning a trip to Canada, either as a tourist or to visit family? You will most probably need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The first thing to do is find out which one you would need.

Check our first article “Do you need a visitor visa?” to check your country of nationality which will tell you your next steps! 

If you already know which type of travel document you would need, click on the corresponding article below.

If you have a son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter living in Canada as citizens or permanent residents, you might be able to get a Super Visa. This special visa will you to stay up to 2 continuous years with your family, instead of a maximum of 6 months allowed by a regular TRV or eTa. Check the article below on how to apply and what documents you would need.

My current

I want to visit Canada but I do not know what type of visa I need
If you want to go to Canada as a tourist, or to visit family, you will need to apply either for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or for an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). To know which one you need (which depends on your country), check our visit visa guide here
I know I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
In this case, you can consult our Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) guide
I know I need an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
In this case, you can consult our electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
I am the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
If this is the case, you can apply for the Super Visa.​ It is the almost the same process as a regular Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), but with additional documents to provide. The upside is that you can stay for up to 2 continuous years instead of a maximum of 6 months for a regular TRV. 

List of available

Do you need a visitor visa?

Find out if you need an eTA or a TRV or neither of them to visit Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Learn how to get it and how much it costs

What documents do you need and how much does it cost?

Do you plan to stay between 6 months and 2 years with your child/grandchild?

Temporary Resident Visa (Visitor)

What documents do you need and how much does it cost?